Skip to main content

Manga!

Hey everyone,
Ok, I have a lot to tell today.

First, I just had my first coke in 2 weeks so I think I am a little wired. Also, my new favorite food are crepes with nutella (chocolate) and bananas. If you get a chance definitely try one. Finally, I haven’t been online in a while because I didn’t have the internet key.

We went out on the boat the other day and snorkeled some of the reefs that are around the island. The view was great. It was all mountains and blue waters. When we went into port we walked upon a wedding that was just beginning. The bride walks with her father down to the church so we caught them on the way. It was beautiful. We had dinner at this port at a family owned restaurant. It was seafood and it was great. You all should be proud of me because I have vowed to try anything while I’m here. When my plate arrived with visible tentacles I was not sure if I could stick to that plan, but it was great. I have eaten a lot of fish with the eyes still attached since I’ve been here. It has gotten me over a bit of squeamishness.
On the subject of squeamish, or lack thereof- we have been at the beach almost every day that I’ve been here. I’ll try to get descriptive for you now. Speedo. Maybe I should stop with the description. Ok, I’ve just enclosed a picture so if you need more info just check it out below. Also, every beach is a topless beach if you want. Not everyone is topless but sometimes you look around and there is a lot to see. Or, a lot that you don’t want to see depending on how you look at it.
Coke cans are tall and little in diameter. Water comes in big glass containers and there are no two liters. If you were to buy a big bottle of, oh lets be native and say Fanta (don’t you want a, want a Fanta?) it comes in a one liter bottle.
Everyone eats in courses, even at home. The courses are a little different, though. 1. Drinks with some type of chip or pretzel or little something. 2. Appetizer 3. Pasta of some kind or soup 4. Meat with some veggies (but the veggies are optional because they can technically be a separate course) 5. Fruit or cheese 6. Dessert. When I said they tell you to eat (“Manga, manga”) I meant it. Typically, north of Rome you don’t do all of that for lunch and dinner they tell me. From Rome down that is a typical meal 2 times a day plus breakfast.
Cheese is big here. I am developing my taste for cheeses. Unfortunately, I don’t know what the names are because they are in Italian. I can, however, now go into a store and pick cheese wheels for different types of meats by looking for brands and colors. They love Kraft brand Philadelphia cream cheese which they call Philadelphia cheese. They eat it at every time but breakfast, which is funny because we only eat it during breakfast. Elena, the little girl, could live on cream cheese and tomatoes and be completely happy, I think.
I need to learn to cook from Valentina because she is amazing! Tonight we had some kind of rice with pumpkin that was so good. I asked her to write down the recipe and I would translate it because it was that great. I have never eaten pumpkin in anything but pie so I was ready to try it. I’ll let you know what the name of it is when she tells me.
I cannot get the idea of grits across. I need to have my mom ship me some so they can taste them. Or, Mr. Mike might need to come make some because those are the best grits.
If you go into a café or restaurant and eat inside it is one price and if you eat outside at a table it is a different price. Also, there is fast food and there dining with multiple forks. There is no in between that I can see.
Tonight I went into Capoliveri and walked around. When I got there a big crowd was around the stage and there was a ballet just in the square. The music was great. It was beautiful with the town laid out behind the stage, all lit up. Farther down the road there was a magician again. It is a very neat place. If you are thinking of visiting you should.
Wow, I just read this and you would think that I am starving.
I found a bookstore and saw some of my favorite books in Italian. I am very tempted to buy one just to have it in another language. I have vowed that I cannot until I know the language better.
There is an outside movie theater here. It is not a drive in but the screen and everything is outside. I love how everything takes place outside here. Nothing is outside in FL so it is kind of nice to be outdoors all of the time.
I went downstairs the other day and Mr. Randelli was taking the stitches out of a guy’s foot right in the house. The kids were watching and I stayed for a minute but I am not a doctor for a reason. It made my stomach queasy.
The kids are playing soccer. I played the other day but they made me goalie because I am not as good as the 5 and 8 year olds. Then, every shot that they made went through.
Ok, I think that is everything new for now. I hope you are all having a wonderful time. Someone eat some cheese grits for me J.














































































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

July 15, 2009

I was born to live in Italy. Reason 1: Time means nothing Reason 2: You work if you want to Reason 3: They drive 100 kilometers an hour everywhere Reason 4: The food is amazing This goes on to reason, like, 50000 but I'll stop here. On the way up here we never went under 80 kilom an hour. There were tunnels with the sides almost brushing the car and we went 100 kilometers an hour. In these tunnels we would pass cars or bikes in front of us with oncoming traffic close enough to see the drive. They simply moved as close to their side of the wall as they could and we taxied the line. I love it. The lines on the road are more like guidelines for where you should merge next. These little cars can haul. We swam in the most amazing pool complex today. It had 2 kiddie pools with slides and toys, a whirlpool/lazy river thing, an indoor/outdoor pool, a 4 seasons pool, recliners in the pool with jets, etc. There was even a slide that went through the complex and 2 lap pools. It was so much fu
Ok, update number whatever. I don’t know what day it is anymore. Today we drove to Elba. Well, we drove 4 hours and then took a ferry ride and then drove 30 minutes to get to the house. Let me tell you- it was 100/% completely worth it. This is hands down the most beautiful place I have ever been in my life (sorry Seattle). There are pictures at the bottom. Beautiful does not describe it. The view from the house is amazing and the house itself is probably the coolest house I have ever been in. It is maybe 5 floors of sprawling Tuscany goodness. If I ever build a house I am asking for the floor plan. It can probably sleep 20 people but it has rooms in nooks and up staircases and in what one might think was a closet, but no it’s a room. They all have balconies to see the view and the grounds are amazing. I don’t know if I mentioned it but there is no air conditioning here. I don’t think the family car has it. I don’t know how they do it but the houses feel cool and are airy and bright. I
Hey everyone, Let’s see....I went waterskiing this week. Thanks to grandpa for teaching me how to slalom. It is more difficult in the ocean than the nice flat lake and I had to drop a ski because the boat wasn’t powerful enough to haul my big butt out of the water on one ski. Nevertheless, I had a fun time and made it before I did a spectacular flip/ nose-dive. I forgot how sore it makes you the next day and I couldn’t make a fist because I used all of those wrist muscles to pull myself out of the water. It was so much fun. Yesterday some friends of the family from NY came. We spent the day on the boat I got to spend some time talking with people who spoke English. The family was so nice I we had a lot of fun swimming and bouncing on the waves. They pointed out something that I never noticed about Elba. There are no clouds here. It never rains because it is the summer time (that isn’t weird) but I realized that it is kind of a strange thing that I could never quite pu