Skip to main content

Wed July 1, 2009

Yay! I have addicts! Go Wacky!

So, I have good news and bad news for you. The good news is that I took pictures for you! The bad news is I have somehow lost my memory card. The pictures are on my camera so when I get a new memory card I will just transfer it to the card and my computer. Bad news: It took me 2 days to find a blowdrier and then the store was closed so it might take a while.
The story of that! So, I didn't take my blowdrier because I would need to use the converter and it seemed like a hassle. They are cheap so it I thought I would just pick one up there. Insert laughing from anyone who has been to a foreign country. First, I don't speak the language. Second, I decide a week from leaving that I absolutely CANNOT live without bangs so I go cut my hair in a way that must be styled (if you know me you know that I never do my hair or makeup so what I was thinking...). The day I used the bus system for the first time I looked for a blowdrier and toothpaste. I found toothpaste. The next day I walked around where I lived and looked into every shop I came to but, alas, no blowdrier. Seriously, this is the city of fashion and grooming. How hard should it have been to find a blowdrier!?!? After walking, I'm not kidding, like a million hours (OK it was only about 4 hours but I braved the restaurant that day, give me some credit) I finally found one in a window.

They were closed.

That is irony. SAT illustration of the day.

Yes, it was like 2:30 in the afternoon. See, when Mike and Wacky told me that businesses closed randomly during the day I didn't understand. I thought they would post weird hours. Oh, no. They just randomly close. Good luck. So, no blowdrier. To make matters worse. The next day we were leaving for Elba so it wasn't like I could just go back to that store at, oh I don't know, midnight (which must be when they open if they are only working on vampire hours-closed at 2). Luckily the family saved the day and had an extra blowdrier.

So, I put clothes in the washing machine here (in Italian) and it has been like an hour and they are still going. I am wondering if I need to manually turn the washer off or if I am just going to have really clean clothes.

Today's beach was great! It is a rock bottom beach so there is really no sand. It was a diving spot but I didn't have any gear. I guess I'll just have to come back... The stones are everything from pebble sized to fist sized boulders (which I know because I took Geology at Florida State College of Jacksonville back when it was known as FCCJ. Yes, FCCJ and I go way back). By the way: the washer is now making scary sounds so I am wondering if I broke it. It is also dark here now and I just washed clothes without a drier. How they are going to dry on the line at night is something I am just now thinking about. Back to our previous- ok I seriously just checked on my clothes because I really am worried- Ok, now back to our previously scheduled entertainment; The water is so clear you can see to the bottom from a depth that I can't get to. It is cold and calm. For those lifeguards who are tuning in, I took a picture for you. They just seem to come out when they feel like it. It is my kind of guarding, right? Sam, I found a hot one that speaks limited English that I will gift wrap for you. Robbie, I am still looking. You have a harder order.
Let's see if there is anything else. The kids are funny. We played thumb wars in the car which the name for here is only about a paragraph long. Also, they beat me in rock paper scissor because apparently there is a bomb that beats the gun that I only knew about in passing but have never used. Nothing beats a bomb so I just use that every time and win.
This is a long message.
I don't know if I told you so I'll tell you again, possibly. I went into Capoliveri which is the town that we are staying in. I had to walk up a mountain to get to it but I figured that meant I deserved some banana gelatto (per Kristen Grey- good choice by the way) when I got there. The town is very old looking. There is an outside cafe every 5 feet (I guess I should say meters but I simply refuse to act that European. I also refuse to wear crocs which my mom will be delighted to know they have here). I took pictures,but... There was this guy painted gold who was in some kind of British redcoats costume. I have no idea what he was supposed to be but you could take pictures with him. When we were walking back we stumbled upon this guy who was balancing on a pole. It was kind of cool.

Ok, that is about it for now. I have to go take my laundry out before it floods the house or bounces out the door.

I hope you are all having a great time at home. The emails have stopped so make sure you keep emailing.

More later

Nicole

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

July 15, 2009

I was born to live in Italy. Reason 1: Time means nothing Reason 2: You work if you want to Reason 3: They drive 100 kilometers an hour everywhere Reason 4: The food is amazing This goes on to reason, like, 50000 but I'll stop here. On the way up here we never went under 80 kilom an hour. There were tunnels with the sides almost brushing the car and we went 100 kilometers an hour. In these tunnels we would pass cars or bikes in front of us with oncoming traffic close enough to see the drive. They simply moved as close to their side of the wall as they could and we taxied the line. I love it. The lines on the road are more like guidelines for where you should merge next. These little cars can haul. We swam in the most amazing pool complex today. It had 2 kiddie pools with slides and toys, a whirlpool/lazy river thing, an indoor/outdoor pool, a 4 seasons pool, recliners in the pool with jets, etc. There was even a slide that went through the complex and 2 lap pools. It was so much fu
Ok, update number whatever. I don’t know what day it is anymore. Today we drove to Elba. Well, we drove 4 hours and then took a ferry ride and then drove 30 minutes to get to the house. Let me tell you- it was 100/% completely worth it. This is hands down the most beautiful place I have ever been in my life (sorry Seattle). There are pictures at the bottom. Beautiful does not describe it. The view from the house is amazing and the house itself is probably the coolest house I have ever been in. It is maybe 5 floors of sprawling Tuscany goodness. If I ever build a house I am asking for the floor plan. It can probably sleep 20 people but it has rooms in nooks and up staircases and in what one might think was a closet, but no it’s a room. They all have balconies to see the view and the grounds are amazing. I don’t know if I mentioned it but there is no air conditioning here. I don’t think the family car has it. I don’t know how they do it but the houses feel cool and are airy and bright. I
Hey everyone, Let’s see....I went waterskiing this week. Thanks to grandpa for teaching me how to slalom. It is more difficult in the ocean than the nice flat lake and I had to drop a ski because the boat wasn’t powerful enough to haul my big butt out of the water on one ski. Nevertheless, I had a fun time and made it before I did a spectacular flip/ nose-dive. I forgot how sore it makes you the next day and I couldn’t make a fist because I used all of those wrist muscles to pull myself out of the water. It was so much fun. Yesterday some friends of the family from NY came. We spent the day on the boat I got to spend some time talking with people who spoke English. The family was so nice I we had a lot of fun swimming and bouncing on the waves. They pointed out something that I never noticed about Elba. There are no clouds here. It never rains because it is the summer time (that isn’t weird) but I realized that it is kind of a strange thing that I could never quite pu